Thursday, October 25, 2012

Death By I Write Like A Girl Syndrome



I stumbled onto this site, which offers a test of text to determine the gender of the author.

The categories are fiction, non-fiction, and blog entry.

I entered an entire blog entry (Dances with Squirrels), an excerpt, and a few sentences randomly generated from my own head. My kids shouted things to type in and even [My Attorney] played.

Our results? Ok, first of all this test is surely flawed. Despite the rigorous science behind its generation, it's just wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrongity wrong wrong.

[My Attorney] -- Female.

The Girl -- Female.

The Boy -- Male.

Me. The Dad. Your bloggist. A manly man type man of a man. -- Female.

3 comments:

  1. If it's any consolation, I tried it as well, and most of the entries I tried pegged me as female as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm obviously a women raising 4 very scary kids, but I test as a guy, but looking at the requirements, the scores make sense. You talk about your women alot, which would tag you with a lot of female points. However, my writing is very neuter, which tags me masculine. My theory is the test is sexist. In order to be a masculine writer, you can not allow any words that refer to women.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should probably stop dotting your letters with little hearts.

    ReplyDelete