Thursday, January 26, 2012

Baseball

ports are not my thing. They never have been. Unless someone invents the 100-yard smartass, I'm never going to win any athletic competition. I never played football, never played basketball, never freaked out over a fantasy football draft, never wrestled. I was on a forensics team for like one day--and I played little league.

Now my son is playing baseball and he's into it like he's falling off a cliff. We've spent a grand total of fourteen million dollars outfitting him with digital socks, a laser guided mitt, kevlar penis armor, and training equipment including personal visits from Whitsox players and the ghost of Babe Ruth. As I directed the wagon train of teamsters to the register at Sports Authority, I realized youth baseball is a racket and I'm it's biggest sucker.

But I don't care. I'll spend another million tomorrow because my son is into it. He's all about the baseball. He eats sunflower seeds, spits, hustles his juevos on the baseline, fidgets with his hat, keeps his foot on the bag, dusts his hands and checks the air flow . . . and disco dances.

I remember little league. I remember left field. I remember no kids could ever put it out there and if they did the third baseman (showoff) would be under it before I could even start running so I mostly stared at the traffic and ate mulberries from an absolutely gargantuan mulberry tree. The mulberries on this thing were as long as my middle finger and I'd come in from defense with purple stains on my Owls uniform. So I know all about the boredom of left field. I assume it's the same in right. It must be because in his game yesterday, Roon wasn't staring through the gap between second and first at the batter and chattering like a steely eyes Whitesox player. He was busting a move.

When I say he was busting a move, I mean he was John Travolting. You could tell by the way he used his walk. It didn't last long and as I was sitting next to one of the most charmingly unabashed Scout moms in the world whom I've known long enough that she wouldn't hesitate to punch me on the shoulder and scream, hey, look at your gay son, I know no-one else saw it. But I did. It's burned into my mind: a spastic hip pumping finger pointing head shaking Staying Alive poster emulating jig right there in right field and I know it was totally spontaneous and I know he's going to do it again. I know it.

The Roon likes the disco. He routinely erupts into a hip thrusting ten year old boy version of Bad by Michael "I Live In B'Hrain Cause They Won't Arrest Me Here" Jackson that, in my day, would get his ass kicked faster than wearing a tutu. Worse, it makes him laugh and when Roon laughs, his bones turn into Jell-O and he falls down.

So here's what I'm looking at: it'll be the big game in the clutch and Roon'll be playing first base. The other coach will have a brief talk with his next batter up giving Roon just enough time for his mind to wander and he'll forget where he is and he'll spaz out into his John Travolta tourrettes syndrome thing, realize he's doing it, start laughing, and fall down just as the third baseman throws the ball to clinch a triple play and it sails over his prone, wiggling, possibly urinating form.

At least he's happy.

13 comments:

  1. endangered coffeeMay 2, 2007 at 7:19 AM

    I would watch baseball even more than I do now if there was more of a John Travolta Tourettes thing going on... Let's just hope the boy doesn't break out any mechanical bullriding moves from Urban Cowboy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this Roon character. My kinda guy. Just stopping by via Dr. John.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the goods. I can only hope that my son develops the said JTT syndrome you speak of. There isn't enough Disco in cricket, soccer, afl or rugby league either.

    You paint great word pictures, Chris. It's an escape just catching up with your blog. Long live "Death By Children".

    ReplyDelete
  4. My six year old just started Tee-ball. He has two games under his belt. I'm going out of my mind watching from the sidelines as he plays with pebbles and other distractions on the field. Yet he says he's totally wants to be playing baseball. I feel bad for the coaches.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roon reminds me of my little brother, except for the whole liking sports part. Unless you count the karate class he takes. But even then, he is the one who is overly dramatic and flailing. He just wants everyone to know he's there.

    But he breaks into moves that I don't think the world is ready for. And because he doesn't watch tv or movies or listen to music or do anything remotely normal of a 12 year old, I have no idea as to where this funk comes from. He is simply inventing that arm twist and leg jerk.

    I think more little kids should just break down into song or dance or monologue. You know, just to keep everyone on their toes. It would certainly make the world a more interesting place. Imagine walking down the street and every other kid is doing the moon walk or singing some 80s hair band song or receiting shakespeare. I'd get a kick out of it.

    Anyhow, this is long and not really necessary. So Ill stop.

    -Gigi-

    PS: This is one of my favorite blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. creative-type dadMay 3, 2007 at 8:18 AM

    Baseball is boring. The way I see it, he's obviously aware of the problem and is trying to FIX it.

    You done good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with Gigi...

    Kids should be the ones who write musical theatre in a practical manner. Everyone expects them to be weird, but let's encourage them to organise it.

    Personally, I'd love to go and see Roon starring as a dark, Pulp-Fiction-esque John Travolta in "Disco Diamond". Imagine the songs... imagine the dance routines... imagine it all... That's my Friday written off!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the 100 yard smart ass! And I love kids like Roon. I play a lot of different music in my class and it cracks me up that my little hip-hop kids, the goths, and the rappers will actually bust a move when they hear Arethea, Abba, or the Beach Boys. It's a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My son will be starting T-ball next week. I've heard it's a real free-for-all, so who knows what'll happen on that field!

    Thanks for visiting my blog the other day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. shadowsofourselvesMay 6, 2007 at 11:16 AM

    I used to play t-ball. I remember doing cartwheels and handstands in the outfield because it was tball and no one ever hit anything into the outfield. And I was a girl. No one cared. No John Travolta moves though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Cleaning LadyMay 9, 2007 at 1:24 AM

    we have invested heavily in Girls Tournament league Softball with our youngest. The cost is only offset by the chronic feminin teen angst that is visible on the field during practice and games. The poor coaches... they are school teachers with a penchant for masochism (IMO).
    I get even with the embarrassment part, I "shop-dance" at the grocery store. they play such snappy tunes, you just gotta bust a move :) (maybe THIS is why I was robbed at the supermarket?:O)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The fact that your son dances says a lot about his parents. My childhood had a constant soundtrack and everyone in my family dances all the time. We're a happy people.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The information contained in this site is very important to you. This page offers the ability to find information concerning any sport and any country. It's really important to visit this site. Never saw anything like before. We wholeheartedly recommend.

    The best place for mlb odds, , yahoo mlb.
    For more information visit:
    http://www.bet911.com

    ReplyDelete