Monday, October 15, 2012

The Water Pik Netti Pot Listerine Don't Try This At Home Sinus Irrigation Disaster

(((I selected this post to be featured on Dad Blogs. Please visit the site and vote for my blog!)))

I'm probably not sane. I haven't just come to this conclusion--it's been growing on me for years, a sneaky, furtive suspicion that I ain't raht. It worries me a little, not because I'm afraid of being crazy, but because I don't want to infect the children.

Case in point: Do you believe I found the YouTube video of the guy rinsing his nasal cavity with a teapot:


  1. Disgusting

  2. Totally hilarious

  3. Inspirational


If you picked three, welcome to your favorite blog.

I rarely try things I see on the internet. I don't drop Mentos into diet coke. I don't drift my car. I don't cycle-sleep. But when I saw the Netti pot, I had to give it a shot. How could I avoid it? It hits all the 10 year old entertainment points: boogers, semi-inappropriate irrigation, sticking something up your nose, and laughing hard enough to blow coke through your nose while you're blowing salty water through your nose. Through your nose.

As soon as I saw the video I ransacked the house looking for some device that could stand in for a netti pot--a tea pot, a water bottle, a baby's nose cleaner--anything. But I had nothing.

Then I remembered my water pik.

If necessity is the mother of invention, YouTube is the mother of emergency rooms. I'd like to say I stared long and hard at the Water Pik before I gave in to the imp of the perverse, but I never lie. As soon as I saw the Water Pik, I shoved it up my nose and turned it on. Ok, there was a moment of practical modification--I removed the actual pik--not because I found it indelicate to nostrilize something I often stick into my mouth, but because I only wanted to squirt some water through my sinus canal, not drill a hole through my frontal lobe. And I did rinse the tank out. Once. In hindsight, there are some other practical points I might've added to my pre-hydro-encephaliticizing check-list. I might've:

  • considered that my sinuses were blocked

  • turned the damn thing down from "Saw Through A Diamond" to "Gentle"

  • rinsed the tank THOROUGHLY given that I often fill it with straight Listerine

  • used water that was WARM, not BOILING

  • Not. Frikken. Done. It.


But I don't blog for myself--I do it for you, dear readers, and to give up merely because there were risks, discomforts, or potential blindness would be cowardly. I pressed on. I pressed the blunted pik into my left nostril, tilted my head 45 degrees to the right, flipped the switch, and blew the top of my skull off.

To say that the initial sensation was one of hot, sharp, piercing agony would be like saying a firecracker is a lot like a nuclear bomb.

A jet of boiling Listerine shot into my sinuses, was rebuffed by a mucal plug like a steel door, then proceeded to abrade the delicate lining of my cranium like a pressure-washer filled with bleach.

I realized right away that this novel use of a Water Pik wasn't going as well as my last attempt and, flailing blindly, as water was shooting out of my nose and spraying all over the mirror, I managed to grab the electrical cord and disconnect.

Now, there are many reasonable people out there who now are saying to themselves, "well, surely he'll give up after that ridiculous stunt." You'd be wrong. Failure is not an option. It's genetic.

I rinse out the tank, turn down the pump, adjust the temperature and try again. Where the trial run felt like I was being stabbed through the brain with a light saber, the second try felt like getting punched in the nose by a very angry, very accurate, dwarf. Clearly I was getting somewhere.

I checked the power and saw I'd not turned it down as far as I could. I tried again and finally reached an acceptable level where it felt merely painful, like when you're at the beach and you come up for air the fourth time you've been nailed and driven under and as soon as your head clears the surface you get punched in the face by a nine foot wave that drives four hundred gallons of salty water into the upper reaches of your sinus cavity with all the grace and consideration of a nail bomb. Like that. Only less gentle.

Unlike in the YouTube video, the water ran out of my nose like I'd left the garden hose on and instead of a gentle cleansing, instead of feeling like all the stuff in my nasal caverns--sand, dog hair, chunks of discarded Maduro cigars, old furniture, and a 38 Chevy--was being sluiced out into the sink, I realized with growing fear that I was packing it all up into the furthest reaches of my skull where it would grow into some kind of mushrooming alien podsack and I knew with terrifying clarity that in a few days, my head was going to give birth to E.T.

And it hurt. Like hell. So I stopped. So, take it from me, the water pik is not a durable substitute for a netti pot. That's my public service announcement for the week. Never say I didn't give you considered advice.

Here's the video:


- - -

26 comments:

  1. I woke 2 of the cats laughing so loud! I'm sorry to be sexist but - ONLY A MAN WOULD DO THAT!!!

    Women can take the real thing - like pouring warm salt water into the palm of my hand and simply - snorting it. With BOTH nostrils. Try THAT!

    LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been reading your blog for a while but this is the first time I have commented. I am sorry that you are certifiably insane, but I have to tell you, I laughed until I cried. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with bettejo, only a man. But I'm happy that in the interest of serving mankind you've shared with us, let us know what doesn't work and allowed us to laugh 'at' you not just with you. In my opinion sanity is over rated and not that funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK.
    You stuck something that had to be plugged in to an electrical outlet in order to work up you NOSE! Are you out of your frickin' mind? I am glad that you are a little mad, because that makes you one damned funny guy.
    BTW, my husband had his nose hairs waxed - like a Brazilian Bikini Model. That hurt, too. And it was about as smart, except that the results were a lot nicer and lasted a little longer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made me cry laughing.

    Mostly at what happened, but honestly, partly as I can see myself doing something like that. I'm glad you've worked it out for me, as honestly, the thought of that *did* cross my mind after reading your last post.
    Now I know better! I should have known I'd have to make modifications first....:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bettejo: Your cats weren't sleeping, they were plotting.

    Anonymous 1: That's the greatest compliment a guy could get. Ok, the greatest compliment a writer could get. There's a couple of compliments guys could get that are WAY better than 'you made me laugh until I cried' in fact, there are times when a guy DEFINITELY doesn't want to hear that. But. Um. Thanks.

    Carrie: I am merely a servant.

    Ahna: I think I speak for everyone who read this post when I say 'Thank God it was his nose'.

    Geo: It's my job to make you cry. Laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Entries like this are why I check your blog every day! They are so true to life. I could see my second son doing this, because he saw it on the internet, with no problem. Thanks for the laugh. I needed it on a Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. go get yourself a real netti pot. then do it the right way but look in a mirror while you do. you will giggle and then the whole experience gets even more entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laugh til I cried? Pulleez...try laughing until you pee!!! Thank you for a gut-busting laugh.

    I have been enjoying your blog for a while now, but feel compelled to make a post. I have to tell you, my husband has horrible sinus problems and we saw a tv commercial for this netti pot thing the other day and I laughed and said all you really need to do to clear those sinuses is come to the pool (which is salt water based) with me where I regularily work out and try a flip-turn. He's so uncoordinated in the I knew he'd get lots of irrigation through those sinus cavities that way! And you know what...he did. Not sure if it worked yet, but he got lots of water running through there! yech...
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  10. You had the right idea when you were looking for the baby nose cleaner. Start with warm salt water and take one of those bulbs and moderately gently squirt it up your nose.

    Don't breathe in while doing it.

    Do it in the shower so that all the saltwater and snot that have rolled down your body can be easily washed off.

    I hold one nostril shut while squirting the other one. I end up putting about a cup of water up my nose each time I do it.

    Note that if you use plain water rather than salt water you will feel the burning of crimson flames of crimson fire in your insides. Too much salt will also burn.

    This is a method that will in fact blow all the crusted up nonsense out of your sinuses. It is especially handy when you just got over a cold or have bad allergies and need to get out the firm, dark yellow, tacky stuff that won't come out no matter how much you blow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been reading blogs for about a year and I swear, this was the first one that made me laugh out loud. 3 times! And I am sitting here alone.

    But what is the compulsion of sticking things up one's nose? Crayons, lipstick, carrots..my kids do it. Stick those nice baby carrots up their nose and walk around, fangs out.."Watch out, I'm a monster, mom."

    Yes, he is.nin

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dude, I just found you via Blogrush (yeah, the widget IS working) and WTF?? I'm sitting here in Bham Ala AND people and their netti pots are all over my blog world, too.

    I'm so glad you tried this so I didn't have to. Then again, I put fruit in 50 different bras last summer when I was on the hunt for the perfect one, and photographed it all, so I'm with you-- it's for the readers! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with Joanna. What IS the compulsion? Well, it kept us busy when I worked in the ER; we had kids come in all the time with things rattling around up there. Peas. Coins. The same goes for sticking things in ones ear and swallowing things though the latter is by far more dangerous.

    I had an adult patient who swallowed 6ft. of electrical cord once.

    Anyway, hilarious post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed your post so much I laughed till I cried. Then I was really gratefull that I don't have a waterpik. Thanks much.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm an ear, nose, & throat doc. My pick for best product: the NeilMed irrigation kit. (I'm not affiliated with them, and they don't pay me to hawk their stuff!) The kits come with premixed packets of salt and baking soda -- so you can mix up your own fresh saline. They've done a great job balancing the pH and salinity.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was the funniest thing I have EVER read!!! I stumbled across your blog after doing a google search for a sinus irrigation system I was thinking of getting for my 1 1/2 year old who has horrible sinus prolbems & almost peed my pants reading this. Needless to say I wont be sticking anything up my 1 1/2 year old nose in the near future. I thank you for a HUGE laugh & I am sure the baby thanks you for saving him from the torture!

    ReplyDelete
  17. AHH! I reached this mess by Googling "netti pot listerine" to see if I could! I saw Water Pik, and said in my congested head, "Yessss, I totally have one of those!"

    So, thankfully, my ADD held off long enough for me to read the outcome of your fiasco... otherwise, I would have whitewashed the oldest and deepest parts of my brain with straight Listerine.

    Thank you for saving my life, and doing it hilariously.

    But I'm curious: are you still stuffed up?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness, I just couldn't stop laughing. But I do not know which is worse, the fact that you did it in the first place, or you decided to try it again at a lower setting.

    I do however believe the theory was sound, and the practical application was what was lacking.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It wasn't a choice. I do these things at the service of my readers.

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG, I laughed soooo hard.

    Being an old hand at this nasal irrigation, I must say that you had the right idea with the WaterPik, BUT.... you need a nasal irrigation attachment. Simple little device that fits on the end of the tube. Been using it for years.

    You lean over the sink, hold one nostril shut as Jim said, then let 'er rip. One problem with using this is you go through the rest of your morning looking like you've been snorting coke. LOL

    Zazz

    ReplyDelete
  21. Was doing a search for best water irrigation to buy, and found this blog and it's 10:30 PM and my eyes are wet with tears from laughing so hard. That was one of the funniest things I've ever read! Great writing! (and sorry about the madness and all) :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am, as always, at the service of my dear readers. I'm just glad you weren't searching for "cavity vacuum" or "spleen drum". Check out my radio show at chicagotalkradio.net

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well, my oldest son has been sick for nearly two weeks, and he's tried the netti-pot thing to no avail. So, I suggested we try his brother's unused water pik. It has been used, just not lately...
    My son looked like I was insane, but I was able to produce the name of a Registered Nurse who told me about it and all things "sinus", and also that I overheard at a baseball game (his) that one of the other mom's does this and said that once she started to do it, she absolutely can't live without it. He pleaded, "no mom, really, it'll be fine...don't google it". But, I did google it and found your site first. I think he is so very relieved. He may actually be spared tonight, we may have to go to the store and get the "real attachment"... However, in the meantime I laughed so hard that I brought on an asthma attack, but stopped it fast by not laughing out loud--so I cried instead. Because you are an excellent writer and you absolutely captured my imagination and quelled my crazy enthusiasm for doing weird stuff to myself and my children.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dude, you can totally use a waterpik to irrigate your sinuses, but you should really try to use lukewarm salt water, not Listerine.

    Oh, and don't use HYDROGEN PEROXIDE like I did once. Seriously. I thought I might actually die. Yeah, I am male too. We are the expendable gender.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is really helpful. It presented me a few ideas and I'll be placing them on my web site eventually. I'm bookmarking your website and I'll be back. Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dear Dentist is Utah;

    While I am delighted to the point of contorting myself that you've commented, I am simultaneously aghast that your initial response to a grown man shoving a waterpik up his nose is, in your words, ". . . really helpful." This bodes poorly for the people of Utah whom I know to have remarkably well preserved and highly maintained teeth. I mean, look no further than Marie Osmond's mouth full of perfection for proof that dentists in Utah are well trained. I think perhaps you stray too far from your discipline when commenting on my poorly considered use of a dental instrument, and in fact you are stepping outside the bounds of your profession and giving advice as if you are an ear nose and throat man. That's an entirely different seminar/conference/panel of doctors, mon frerre.

    ReplyDelete