Monday, December 15, 2008

Proper Potty Training for People with Penises

For sending parents into drooling catatonia, nothing compares to potty training. It's first of the classic thresholds of child development and the first time you and your spawn have a shared weird experience. Trust me, there will be more.


All parents will have to teach their kids this simple skill. Every "What to expect when you're Expectorating" book out there has a chapter devoted to the minutiae of merde and most of them try to convince you that potty training is an intricate, delicate, and difficult period, requiring endless couch-time for the parents and their progeny. Most guides imply that improper potty training can lead to lifelong neuroses and Emo music.


My kids were so easy it was almost spontaneous. I sat the boy down on his little chair at exactly the right moment and the resulting efficacy of exporting his effluence sans diaper made an instant impression on him.


My great neglect at that moment was a lack of follow-through. I should have explained immediately that the chamber of reflection has a dual purpose, that one can use it for sitting or for standing. I figured it would come up in the very near future and shelved the whole idea and went back to doing laundry.


[My Attorney] was on deck for the next Number 1 and wasted no time in teaching the boy proper penis procedure: sit, release, wipe.


She told me she was teaching the boy how to pee in the bowl and I didn't think twice about it. I just crossed it off my to-do list. Only later did I wonder about the obvious mechanics and thought to myself, how does she know what to do?


"You taught him to shake, right?"


"What?"


"You know--shake."


"Shake what?"


"His thing."


"Why!?"


"Guys shake."


"Before or after?"


"What did you teach him to do when he's done?"


"Use a tissue, duh."


"Oh my god. Babe, how exactly did you teach my son to pee?"


"I don't know, like everyone pees: you sit down---"


"@#!^%$ ^$##@!"


I want all the new moms and moms to be to please listen up and listen up good: leave proper penile procedural to the papas.


When it comes to penis training, the dad has the upper hand because the dad, presumably, is furnished with the same equipment as the son. He has, in fact, been training his entire life in peni practicalia, and, again, presumably, knows things that, as a mom, you don't know.


Specifically, and this is paramount penis procedure, are two habits unique to the water closet ways of woman-kind: tissues and sitting.


Pay very close attention: men don't sit down to pee. Pay even more attention: when we're done, we S H A K E. We don't W I P E.


I realized [My Attorney] had been teaching the toddler to touch up his tallywacker with a tissue for two weeks before I found out. Then I realize that it is too late--TOO LATE--to change. He's been trained.


Then it really hit me: my son pees like a girl!


His life as a man was finished. Now when other boys make jokes about writing their name in the snow, the Roon will have to ask them what they're talking about. I had a vision of him walking into the urinal bay at school and wondering out loud,  "Dude, where are the wipes?"


He would be an urinary outcast; a pee pariah.


I acted fast. I called him over.


You know you're supposed to pee standing up.


Gross!


And you don't wipe.


What? Well . . .  well . . .what do you do?


You shake.


Shake what?


What do you think?


Oh my god! Dad, that's gross! Gross! It'll go everywhere!


I was too late.


I went out to the garage. I dipped my hands into a bucket of crude oil, lit a cigar, and thought about guns. I had to protect my manhood and for some reason I thought it was at stake. I thought maybe the boy's manhood was at stake too. I remembered great pee moments from my childhood:




  • Peeing into the wind off the back of a moving pick-up truck;

  • Peeing onto an electric fence;

  • Writing my name in the sand at the beach then drinking three whole cokes because my name is 22 letters long and I was trying to write in cursive and I ran out at christopher pa--

  • Peeing off the side of a boat

  • Peeing off the top of a building under construction

  • Peeing into the campfire

  • Peeing into the bait-well in our boat

  • Peeing on a cow

  • Starting a forest fire . . .


Those are cherished memories, the very building blocks of a boy's life. How was my son supposed to ---


Hey dad, you're right. It totally works. I can pee standing up.


Awesome. You made it into the toilet?


Toilet?

3 comments:

  1. One of the best things on potty training I've yet read, and believe me I've read a lot. My wife and I just wrote a potty training e-book. Good stuff, Christopher, and nice to know you.

    Writer Dad’s last blog post..Four Seasons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, as a mom to boys, I am laughing my ass off over the peeing adventures. We're going to the snow next week, and though it hasn't been mentioned yet, I fully expect that there will be a lesson on name writing in the snow.

    Michelle’s last blog post..Procrastinator extraordinaire meets the holidays

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too Funny. Still trying to get our middle child off the whole "wiping" thing myself.

    Ian’s last blog post..Return to Real Life

    ReplyDelete