Saturday, November 24, 2012

Rapping Rhapsodic on Bohemian Rhapsody with my Bonne Homme


Roon switched schools this week, moving from a parochial school to public, thereby losing his uniform, meaning I had to buy him new clothes.



I thought it was telling that when we went to the store, he didn't care about what pants we bought as long as they were jeans. But he took a long time to pick out three t-shirts. See if you can detect a theme here. The shirts displayed the following pop memes: The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd. He topped them off with an AC/DC cap.

I have to say he's starting off well in his musical snobbery. Those are all good bands and he really does listen to them. He recently started paying attention to my iTunes and put together a playlist labeled "Good Music" (to distinguish it from the baffling crap I usually listen to). I pulled some songs off of it to make him a morning mix tape. Check it out:

  1. "Mr. Blue Sky," by Electric Light Orchestra

  2. "Park & Beans," by Weezer

  3. "Bohemian Rhapsody," by Queen

  4. "Dracula from Houston," by the Butthole Surfers

  5. "Storm in a Teacup," by the Red Hot Chili Peppers

  6. "Science Fiction Double Feature," punked out by Me First and the Gimme Gimmes

  7. "Death of a Martian," by Red Hot Chili Peppers

  8. "Black Times Bad Times," by Led Zeppelin

  9. "More Than a Feeling," by Boston


At first I thought this was a further extension of his newfound rock snobbery but I realized it wasn't really about the music so much as it was about self definition. Roon wanted to define himself to his new school as a rocker, and he wanted to establish his musical taste right off the bat not to lord his 1970s playlist cred over anyone else, but to let them know where his head is at.

This may seem like over intellectualizing t-shirts but it's a completely valid effort on his part to adopt a new uniform: the cobbled-together non-uniform of the Boheme. I don't know how much of that need to define himself played into his decision to switch schools, but it mattered a lot that on his first day in the cradle of public knowledge he was representing Pink Floyd, a band he equates with stellar musicianship, individuality, and intellectualism.

Pink Floyd is his second choice, however, after Queen. If he'd had a Queen shirt, he'd probably never take it off, hoping that their operatic falsetto rock cred would somehow seep into his skin along with dirt, taco sauce, and diet coke stains.

His transition to public school marks a loss for me in one regard--quality time.

I get to spend a lot of time with my spawn because I work at home. But driving them to school has always been important to me because for the eight minutes we had together in the car, remarkable conversations would occur.

The other day we rocked to school under the auspicious and noble refrains of Bohemian Rhapsody, singing at top volume, until Roon killed the song to ask questions about it, to talk about complex rock & roll, Freddy Mercury, gay rock stars, and the song itself.

It's easy to think that the tent-pole conversations are what matters--the sex talk, the dope talk, the Bischon Frieze talk. But I don't buy it. I think it's the sum total of all these little seemingly inconsequential talks--the argument about what 'scaramouch' actually means--that ultimately make up a longer, broader, and permanent body of discussion in the mind of our children that transmits the concepts we truly believe. It teaches them our real philosophy and assists them in building their own.

Now that my daughter is gone so much, I hardly ever get to talk to her except to ask her to please stop singing in the shower at midnight. We quip in passing and she's obviously witty as hell and, like her mom, [My Attorney], a brain on legs. But I don't get much conversation time.

Now that Roon will be walking to school I'm losing face time with him as well. Of course, he'll be walking in the door every day at 3:30 demanding food. It's not like I won't see him. But there's something about the drive time. All you have is driving and talking. At home there's laundry, living room, lunch, dishes, dog walking, laundry, homework, house cleaning, laundry and sometimes laundry. I won't have that brief break where I have nothing to do but drive, that time when we talk about those things that matter. Like gay rock stars.

3 comments:

  1. Talking about gay dogs wasn't enough for you? Now you gotta talk about gay rock stars as well? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. Made me think of my nephew, who I think I now have to call 'Dirt" or something strange now that he is in a band... no more Graham Cracker for him.
    Maybe while you're sorting socks....there's time there to talk, especially in hunting down the missing ones. It's the little moments isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that he's got great taste in music...and if he likes Pink Floyd, he really should check out Porcupine Tree. The absolute freakin' best prog band around.

    And it distresses me that in Chicago - of all places! - you don't have good radio. What has the world come to?

    ReplyDelete