Friday, February 8, 2013

True Love Ate My Homework

Well it happened. The girl-child finally got a boyfriend. This is big news and a mountain-sized moment since she’s been coveting the status of “boyfriend” since birth.

I knew that a high school filled with drama queens and ultra geeks would be the place for her to find her soul mate and that’s why I sent her there. Other kids saw this high school, which might as well be called “Super Hero High” as an academic mecca, a math-and-science Matterhorn, and face each day with the necessary resolve to fight their way through the high-concept classes (literary research?) to the goal of good grades.

But not the girl. When we were leaving orientation, starry-eyed and blown away by the sheer Hogwartian quality of the place, my daughter was floating on air for an entirely different reason. We saw a level of academia you rarely see in goof colleges, much less in a high school. But Sarah crunched her packet to her chest and sighed “Did you see all the cute boys in there? Oh my GOD!”

There were a couple of false starts, a Ziggy-Marleyan young man who was far too forgiving of my daughters various insanities, telescoping his base hopes a little too clearly; and some French kid—I think—who apparently didn’t like her misuse of post-participle noun-events but thought she had pretty eyes. She waved them both off, saw right through them, left them floundering in the wasteland of IM “ignore” commands and a flurry of whatevers. The new kid had a quality they didn’t have in that he’s very honest and very natural and when she was acting like a hyper-active stage-hungry little nutcase he called her on it and I think that mattered to her.

Then he kissed her.

So they’re a couple. And by couple, I mean they disgust me. Last night the girl child gasped and flopped herself down on the end of the couch with such ridiculous force I thought she’d popped a rib—I paused the TV and asked her what happened. She sighed and said “[undisclosed] sat here.” I suppressed the sudden urge to vomit and was about to tell her she was being hyper dramatic but the Artist, who was leaning against the wall sipping tea, snorted and said “Yeah, maybe some of his butt particles are still there,” which you would think would snap the girl-child out of her love induced reverie but, no, she merely sighed again and said “butt particles” and the rest of us rolled our eyes so hard the earth shifted in its orbit.

I had to drop her off at Hogwarts yesterday since my Attorney was in D.C. taking a dep (I love it, I feel like I’m on some cool lawyer show). On the way we listened to the new eagles song and dug it and then Beverly Hills came on so we were rocking it in traffic and she remembered she’d forgotten some homework and begged me to let her miss first period. I pulled over and let her out and told her to tell them her homework was a casualty of love.

I’ve dreaded this day as long as she’s been aching for it, but I have to say it was anti-climactic. It didn’t even bother me when I caught them entangled on the couch. I just told them to disentangle themselves and that was that. When she floated home the first day in love, I hugged her and said “good for you.” I didn’t admonish her for snogging in the hallways. I didn’t tell her to watch his hands. It never occurred to me. I was just happy for her.

Of course I put a tracking device in the kid’s backpack while he wasn’t looking, but that’s just typical dad stuff. Right?

13 comments:

  1. Oh love. Sweet blind love. The not fun part is gonna be when she inevitably ends up crying. Ok I shouldn't jump to conclusions, but you fall hard the first time into love, and even harder out of it.
    I have a number of someone who can "take care" of the boy should this happen. : )
    I am so not looking forward to high school! Middle school seems scary enough.
    much respect~d

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's more than normal, leaving a tracking device in the kid's backpack.

    My father, a career military man from the back hills of Virginia, used to take polaroids of the boy's hands and tell him if he touched me all he'd have left is that picture. (Isn't the sweetest?!)

    This is the same man who used to mend my teddy bear.

    Daddy's are the best moms.

    -Ally

    ReplyDelete
  3. one in his backpack...and one on his car...if he drives. And if you want you can track the gps of her cell....

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, the things i have to look forward to. my oldest daughter is only 11. it's kind of starting, a little bit...boy crazy-ness. i figure, i have a couple of years until i need to move out and find myself a one bedroom apartment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, a dad who can control the urge to strangle every guy who comes within spitting range of his daughter?
    I'm impressed.
    The tracking device? Totally NOT overkill.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "the rest of rolled our eyes so hard the earth shifted in its orbit" - Great line!
    Good for you that you are able to just be happy for her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dude:

    NO Frog boyfriends.

    Take a lesson from Jed Bartlet eh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boys handle the love thing much differently (I have 4). With his last girl son #3 put us in so much IM debt that college is now a dream for him. Who knew that love could cost so much? Now you just have to wait for the broken heart stuff. Young men tend to put fists through walls, come home with various traffic violations (#2) and join the army reserves - yeah that happened with #1 son he had been waffling over the decision for months and the ripped out heart helped him go over the edge. So far #4 has done the breaking up and can't drive yet (24 more days)so the angst hasn't lead to any vehicular mismanagement.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ah.. i kind of remember those days. yea.

    good luck. do make sure she is aware of birth control. I am just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. been there, done that.


    i'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahhh sweet young hormone driven love. I am sending my husband to you when our daughter hits hormonal stages! You seem to be handling this beautifully, while I envision him on the porch with one of his many hunting rifles. LOL!
    This is a great read! Thanks for the giggle and walk down memory lane with my own adolescence.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So this is what I have to look forward to when my little one grows up. I'm struggling enough with a 6 month old!

    Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Half-Past Kissin' TimeJanuary 15, 2008 at 11:24 AM

    While I don't dare blog about this, I do dare to comment...my 15-year old son is in love, too. While I have some experience being on the recieving end of such emotions (smile and glow), I'm finding it fascinating to watch it in third-person, so-to-speak. Whereas every past decision was made by him looking through a "My Goals and Future" lens, he seems to be using a new spy glass called, "Would this interfere with my ability to spend every waking minute/text opportunity with Abbi??" (Dying to write a POST about this, but he would kill me!!) ANyway, I can't remember the date of this here post of yours, but I think it's OLD (ever wonder if folks read those archives??), and I'm guessing she's had a few more since this one? Ah....young love...

    ReplyDelete