Saturday, December 15, 2012

I hope the boy turns out good

I love practical jokes. I think a well executed PJ says as much about the mental faculties of a person as a well crafted essay.

My high school supported some legendary pranks:
  • On of the Ag class superstars smuggled a fetal pig out of class and onto the salad bar. He nestled it gently around the giant plastic bowl of lettuce and like 13 people went through the line before someone screamed.
  • This same guy instigated a food fight on a day when the school had decided to serve mashed potatoes. I remember him towering over everyone and (always with the lettuce) grabbing the huge salad bowl and slinging the lettuce out over the entire lunch room so that nearly everyone got some. Pure ninja.
  • The rednecks were more theatrical than the drama club. One of them came to lunch dressed as a doctor. He sat all the way across the lunch room from his pals and quietly ate his lunch. Suddenly, one of them has a dramatic coronary, spilling his food, falling across someone's table. His friends lay him out and perform CPR, full drama, people freaking out. One of them stands up and yells out: IS there a Doctor in the house?! And this guy stands up and says "Why yes, I'm a doctor" rushes over and does CPR with full frontal face plants and everything.
  • My friends and I started a secret society called the Red Guard Baptist Youth then refused to admit we were in it. One guy actually came up to us and ask how he could join and we swore it was fake, that there wasn't really a Red Guard Baptist Youth and he got pissed off at us for being such elitists. I'm surprised we didn't get called to the principals office.
  • I healed someone during our televised morning announcements.
  • We filmed a "drug deal" and "accidentally" broadcast it between classes.
  • I filmed the Ag class when they butchered a cow and I broadcast it just before lunch.
But nothing compares to the brilliant and perfectly executed mastery of Kyle Garcher who tricked the opposing team into spelling out WE SUCK! over three tiers of fans. Brilliant!

Naturally, Mr. Garcher was suspended, which is entirely appropriate. You can't break the rules without paying the price. I'm sure Mr. Garcher knew he'd get busted and was prepared for it. Here's the video and please visit Mr. Garcher's blog.

I do hope Mr. Garcher learns a lesson or two from this brilliantly executed prank. A) never stop, never surrender B) always work with plausible deniability in mind.


5 comments:

  1. Had to leave him a comment - man - the kid should go into engineering or something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I healed someone during our televised morning announcements."
    Hilarious....oh. my.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your high school was way more fun than mine ever was.

    We did stage a gun fight between two moving cars, driving like mad with the passengers hanging out the windows fire blank guns at each other.

    Then there was the "drug bust" with one student having a fake police badge. The guy being "busted" was in on it but his girl friend was not. When she found out it was a joke she got so mad she slugged her boy friend in the nuts. He folded up like a wet spagetti noodle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That kid is a genius. Thanks for sharing this. His punishment was a bit extreme in my opinion, this was just good, clean fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just can't get past how you had a salad bar when you were in high school. We had beans and cornbread, served on a steel compartment tray.

    ReplyDelete