Tuesday, February 10, 2009

My Son Loves to Read

This is so important to me. I think mostly because I'm a writer and it's kind of nice to see him learn this important art that's so important to my art. He's staying up late reading and twice TWICE I've caught him killing the video game and kicking back with a book. There might be a God . . .

All in all, there is a change-a-comin' for the kid. I can see it in the way he pays attention to the world, the way he's picking up on the power and grace of good rock and roll, and the way he is disappearing into books.

I can't remember when I started reading. I think I was annotating Tolstoy in the womb. I have always been reading. In fact, it is safe to say I have been reading every day since I learned how. I should get paid for it.

I'm one of those crazy (gifted) readers who needs several titles at once. Librarians either love me or hate me. The really cool ones get this look in their eyes when I walk up to the counter with 14 books. Others see me coming with an 85 pound backpack full of books and they go on break.

Worse, I have multiple libraries. The upstairs loo usually has a stack on the sink; there's always a Harpers and a book in the car; the kitchen counter usually has a cookbook on the counter; there's a stack on my bedstand; a row on my desk; a literal library along the upstairs hall; then there's the stack on the end table by my chair in the living room. I don't know if my collection of rare books in PDF form on my hard drive counts, but they're there too.

Reading is an acti of magic as powerful as writing any day of the week. More importantly, reading is seperate from writing. They are intimately related but not the same. Both are creative acts (hence, magic). A person who is reading a book is working as hard as the writer to create a world and that world is distinct from the one laid down on those pages by the author.

The art of disappearing into a book is one developed over time though the trick of it can be learned in the blink of an eye, in the turn of a phrase. It's that moment in a story when you forget that your're reading a book and become part of the story, the invisible observer, the ghost in the room. That's what we are as readers, ghosts in the stories we love.

Maybe that's a great Halloween concept, something to scare you and make you worry a little. Think about the powerful sense that these characters in your favorite stories are alive. When you're reading it, you don't question it at all. They breathe, they love, they kill, they worry, weep, and waylay. And it doesn't end when you put the book down. You can return it to the library and forget about the thing, the sheaf of leaves you were studying so long, you can pretend it wasn't a talisman that evoked these characters into your head where they now live. You can believe they are all just a trick. But they're still there in your head.

What if the book doesn't evoke the characters out of the page, like a zip file, but instead invokes you into their world? What if we're the book?

Happy halloween.

1 comment:

  1. You know you've hit that level of involvement with stories when an integral character dies and you cry. *cough* ahem.... Not saying I HAVE, or anything. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete