Tuesday, February 10, 2009

My Eyes Burned Out by Boobs--Merry Christmas!

A Perfect Post – January 2007
(Thanks, Miss Cellania!)

My daughter turns 14 in less than a month. She is distressingly beautiful and walks with a confidence and dominion I can barely get together even now at 42 years old. I can't imagine what it must be like to be almost 14 and have this kind of aplomb. I adore her and I will brag ad infinitum (ask anybody). But I'm having a hard time accepting that 14 is on the downhill side of little girl. This was made alarmingly clear this holiday season when my daughter asked for and received a really expensive dress. When I say really expensive dress, just think of it more like a fancy word for a traveling boob display case.

I'm not really an old fashioned dad. I can't be. I'm the mom. I do the dishes, manage the homework, cook the meals, clean the house, and drive. I quit my job in retail a while back so my wife could join the dark side (Darth Mama) as a patent attorney. I see her for all of eleven minutes a week. I am the quintessential soccer mom except that I'm a man and we do basketball.

Being a man means having habits and appreciations and thoughts that are significantly different from homemakers of olde. I, for instance, don't know squat about girls. Never have. Dating was a total disaster for me until I met my wife and she sat down with me and explained, once, why I was such an unmitigated butthead with women and if I ever wanted to see her naked, I should do a), b) and c) and never d) or e) again, and don't event think about the rest of the alphabet. God bless her. So my daughter has been a walking mystery my whole life and since she hit puberty (like a truck full of dynamite slamming into a BP) and received her mystical Woman-sight she realized I was just another stupid jerk boy and she pretty much quit worshipping me. I'm just a big fat hairy jerkwad now, only good for getting stuff off the higher shelves and charging her iPod. Opening my mouth elicits eye rolling so violent and powerful I fully expect her to need a neck brace.

But my lack of gurrl knowledge is a convenient blind spot for a lot of things, most of all the fact that they tend to turn into women which means that at some point they sprout boobs. Of course I knew this would happen. In fact, it's been happening since she pubernated but I rarely think about them, uh, it. In fact, my mind takes such elaborate routes to avoid the very concept of Daughter Boobs that it's like she's blurry between her waist and neck. I see nostrils and kneecaps--that's it.

On Christmas day my daughter got her dress and promptly put it on. She'd just gotten her first haircut in God knows how long, a haircut administered on the sly by a woman who runs a booth on Michigan ave for a well known department store so hoity it's name can't properly be pronounced without an ounce of black caviar in your mouth. Her hair was Jennifer Anniston good.

The dress I can only describe as a brown crinoline strapless poufy thing that must've required nanotechnology to get it on and looked like it was designed to invoke all the best parts of the 1944 academy awards banquet while simultaneously providing a level and architecturally sound platform for displaying my daughter's winnebagoes.

When I stumbled down the stairs and threw open the door, and my daughter turned to say good morning while wearing her new dress and whirling her Jennifer hair, I automatically submitted to the architecture of the dress and planted my eyes exactly where its engineers intended while simultaneously realizing "Those belong to my daughter," whereupon my eyeballs exploded and a little voice in my head that sounded suspiciously like Charleton Heston's whispered: You, sir, disgust me.

I said Jesus, Sarah, put those away! And here's where things really got weird. My daughter was not only not embarrassed, she realized instantly that she wielded some kind of awesome power over me and instead of demurely tugging up the edge of her expensive haute coteur she loomed her boobs in my direction and said "look dad, booooooobs," and cackled gleefully as I covered my eyes. She cackled!

Although, by degrees, my sight is returning, I have to say: my eyes were opened. I finally get that my daughter, though only 14, is pretty-much grown. More importantly, I have had to take an objective, neautral look at her and accept that she's not only grown, she's drop dead beautiful, smarter than most of the adults I know, highly confident, and working on a kind of wisdom you don't expect from an eighth grader. She's the kind of girl that makes boys run into things and while they are addled and trying get upright she has the capacity and, I bet, the will to talk them into just about anything she wants from moving furniture to investing in bio-tech. Should she decide to follow in her mother's footsteps and go into Law, I have no doubt she will be like some kind of Greek-god force of nature and make ten bajillion dollars before she's 30.

And I suddenly realize what this means. It isn't just that she's sporting new equipment. It's bigger than that. She's coming into her own, assuming the mantle of her glamour, in a time when there are no restrictions on her gender. The fight has pretty much been won. And instead of the fugly hairylegged braless skanks men feared would come out of the ERA, we've got my daughter: super gorgeous highly educated and bristling with glamorous regard. I fear the poor bastards who get in her way.

13 comments:

  1. Chris,

    My daughter just turned eighteen. It gets worse.

    I realized when she turned thirteen that there are three billion sets of boobs on this planet, and only pair that would disgust me to think about looking at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather in Beautiful British ColumbiaFebruary 2, 2007 at 7:09 PM

    Fabulous story - she sounds like one smart young lady! I'm visiting via the Bestest Carnival :) Thanks for the chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a woman.....and now I'm glad I have boys! Your post does shed some insight on how tough it must be for dads of girls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Came over from the carnival and I wish that a lot of the guys that I work with who have daughters could read this! Especially the ones that go around oogling every boob they can and not realizing that someday some man is going to be doing the same thing to their daughters!

    Good luck to you in the coming years!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great story! Trust me it does get worse. My sister is 19 now and my poor dad has a tough time...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, can I just tell you? It's "grrl" with no U.

    ReplyDelete
  7. interesting story. gives me something to look forward to. LOL! will definitely drop by your blog more often.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is an awesome story. My daughter is only 16 weeks, and I am not looking forward to this realisation. Totally relate to how you and women work - same for me...

    ReplyDelete
  9. You mean how me and women DON'T work. . .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like my daughter, the combo goes like this, boobs, smile then brains. She get their attention with boobs, then she pulls them in with the smile, then she lets them have it with her very smart brain.

    The poor guys never know what hits them. They will always do what she wants and she never gives anything back. The final result is a four scholarship to college.

    One time she got the local BMW dealer to do work on my beat up old BMW for FREE. That was an amazing display of girl skill.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha Love the story, I'm a girlof 21 and suddenly i feel bad for my father when i was umm lets see, 18 because i didn't have boobs until then.......Weird how this world works now eh, children are growing up so fast... I mean I come across who I think are 20 year olds on the street... and they are really just BUILT like 20 year olds.... but they are 14... Oh my gosh, its just crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Half-Past Kissin' TimeJanuary 15, 2008 at 11:06 AM

    This is a beautiful post that I know my husband could relate to. He keeps saying, "Can't we just hide some birth control pills in hamburger and feed her one every day?" He's just kidding, OF COURSE; she's only 12, but she, too, is gorgeous. He has no sisters and feels the same way you do about his daughter growing up and not being sure what to do about it. (Luckily, he has me for a coach, and even without my help, he does a beautiful job, as I'm sure you do.) I really love your last comment about young women of today; you really have your finger on the pulse of things, and that kind of awareness will make a big difference in your daughter (she didn't become this amazing young woman without your influence!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. [...] It’s not like I plan this. I don’t have an Outlook reminder that says “8:47am Scratch Balls.” It’s unconscious. It’s a tic. But tell that to my daughter. This morning I walked out into the living room where she’s waiting for the limo to take her to school and it’s picture day so she’s dressed like a rock star. I mean she looks stunning: black silk dress, choker, diamond earrings, and an unnaturally prominent display of boobage. [...]

    ReplyDelete