Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Full Montessori

hen Darth and I found ourselves parents, we threw ourselves into it with the customary zeal we apply to all our endeavors. We were in it to win it. So when it came time to put Sarah into some kind of school, we wanted it to be something where she learns. We expected her to come home speaking Sanskrit and levitating the dog. We wanted her to know the table settings in nine different cultural wedding banquets. We wanted her to curse in French, bitch about Descartes, and draw Leibniz diagrams in the spilled milk from her cheerios. Our daughter was clearly a genius and nothing in the Orlando environs really measured up. We combed the locals and the yellow pages and then we discovered, right across the road from us, a Montessori school.

MONtesSORi. We gazed upon it in mute stupefaction, like first-time toddlers just inside the gates of Disneyland. We practically drooled. Not only was there a MON te SOR ee school in our neighborhood--we could afford it. It was like the Hummer version of a daycare. Intimidating, overbearing, ridiculous and far fucking more than anyone needed ever, and whenever we parked our little SUVbaby next to other kids all we had to do was mention that she was in MONteSORri and they shut the hell up. It was stainless-steel-riveted modern parental class distinction. Just what our baby needed.

So we packed up our little darling and enrolled her. With Nazis.

I had reservations the first day. The paperwork they sent home had more misspellings than a ransom note. If you wanted to watch your child in class, you couldn't actually go inside. You had to look in through a video monitor. You couldn't even look in through a window. But I dropped my reservations the instant I saw one of my old editors walking across the parking lot. He parked his SUV, got out in a suit, and walked his kid into the back door of the place. He saw me and I could actually see his opinion about me change. He'd last known me when I was a mere copy boy submitting a few club reviews. Now here I was, a father, and my kid was going to rub shoulders with his kid at MONteSORri. Clearly I was blue-blazer material.

My reservations returned full force a few days later when the school called me in. My daughter was causing a scene, apparently she needed to spend a lot of time in the 'quiet time' area. This didn't seem like a big deal to me. The chick was three years old and though I really did want the est for her and yeah yeah yeah I wanted her to learn languages and higher math and all that bull hockey, I wasn't an idiot. A kid who wants to chill out at three is not a cause for alarm but here I was having a sit down with the school superintendent and the teacher. I asked them why it was such a big deal and the teacher, a woman barely into her low 20s, gave me a micro lecture about Sarah's group integration dynamics and some other crap I missed because my eyes glazed over.

I somehow managed not to kill this woman and said I'd see what I could do. I asked if I could look in on the classrooms and they explained the video porthole system and I gritted my teeth and went home and kicked a doorjamb and told my wife.

So my mother in law who, though she is 22-cats crazy, is a highly practical woman in all other regards, went for me as I had to work. She reported that the teacher operated as if there was some kind of invisible shield between her and the children. My motherinlaw was spittin' pissed and indignant and called them a bunch of Nazis. She said that while she watched, the teacher almost never spoke to the children and never, ever touched them, much less gave any of them a hug. Before I could even roll my eyes the phone rang. I needed to come to the school immediately--Sarah had caused a disruption.

So there I am again, my daughter in another room clearly bleary eyed from crying, and me with the teacher and the dominatrix of the joint at a tiny table. They explain that Sarah had refused to go outside for her morning exercise and that when pressed, she had stripped naked and lain spread eagle, face down, on the floor and screamed. I'm looking at the two women who are telling me this without a trace of humor without a flicker of a grin and I'm thinking my daughter, three years old and prone to nudity, has their number.

The teacher rubs her head with both hands like she's been up for thirty-six hours or something and says 'this is getting difficult. I don't know what to do.' I look at this poor, wan, exhausted women and think the room must be teeming with children and she's just overwhelmed and I ask her how many kids she has and she says seven. Like it's Dikensonian. Like she should get a medal. Like she's embattled. I stand up and ask for my daughter. I tell her she ought to go try working at a real school where teachers have upwards of 40 kids in a class. I tell her she ought to be ashamed of herself for having only 7 kids and not being able to handle it and I tell her she ought to try hugs for a control method. Then I called them Nazis.

I found a different place for my daughter, a catholic school daycare, where she was embraced, quite literally, by a cute woman named Betty who was running a rambunctious class of 15 kids all by her lonesome. They were all smiling and running around and having a good time. The place smelled like a school. They told me I could walk right in any time. And the entire time she was there, Sarah never stripped naked.

18 comments:

  1. My younger son went to a public Montessori magnet from the time he was 4 until he was 8. The first 2 years were perfect, but the last 2 were less so- we got a lot of calls that he wasn't "making choices". We found that odd, since at home he was pretty positive in what he was doing. We later found out that he wasn't making the choices the teacher wanted him to make. Home schooling- that's the ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From a teacher who firmly believes that the first thing you need to do is develop a relationship with kids (which is probably why I'm a bad-kid magnet, I actually love them)...thank you! Amazing what a hug will do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you and for Sarah! Makes me feel better about my low class public school education!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is hilarious!

    So, go figure, Nazi tactics don't work on toddlers... but hugs do. That's shocking:)

    I'm glad you told that woman off. Really glad. What a bunch of over-educated stuffy bitches!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your writing is hilarious! I've been reading for a few weeks now and THANK YOU for the irreverence and flat-out humor. We need more bloggers like you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So...now you've seen more of what this school is about. And your old editor is still taking his child there. Forget about what he thinks of you, what does this make YOU think about HIM?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found your story hilarious! Poor Sarah! Fortunately for us, our daughter had a much different experience at Montessori, but her teachers, Miss Anne and Miss MaryAnn, definitely believed that hugs and patience made a difference. Even now 18 years later, when I run into these women, they still ask me how she's doing. Great people!

    ReplyDelete
  8. the montessorri school is known as being a huge waste of time - and now they have a high school - where kids can presumably "dance their way through math...." Dancing nazis.

    ReplyDelete
  9. meant to say the montessori school in our town....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a Montessori teacher and am always sickened when I hear about schools like this one. Maria Montessori created a method of education, which emphasizes learning through personal, hands-on experiences, in an open, loving and nurturing environment (to over-simplify). As her name and methodologies were never patented, anyone and everyone can open a school and call it "Montessori". If you really want to know the magic of a GOOD Montessori school (instead of a "Monte-something") read her books, and you'll know what to look for in a classroom. NOWHERE NEAR Nazi tactics. I'm sorry for your experience, and sorry for little Sarah. She sounds like a delight! Miss :-Debra

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with Miss Debra. I was involved with a local Montessori for about 13 years. All three of my children attended and it was wonderful. The teachers interacted with the children and treated them with great respect.

    My oldest is now 18, and he is getting ready to graduate with honors from the public high school where my wife teaches. I really credit a large part of his love of learning to his time at the Montessori.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My son was asked to leave the $850 a month Montessori because it "wasn't a good fit". He is all boy, and they wanted all robots. I found a woman from El Salvador who took care of kids in her home for $300 a month and years later, he still loves her.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had a person work for me, who talked about spending 3'rd and 4'th grade in a Montesrrori school. He was a very smart guy and he talked about being punished for being smarter that his teachers. He told this story to me when he was 28 years old and his blood presuure went up and his face turned red during the story. Nazis indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Montessori is a cult, like Suzuki violin lessons. People have an unshakable, blind faith in both of these methods as "natural" even after sitting through recital after recital where the kids clearly just aren't learning how to play. Kids learn stuff when you teach it to them. Why do so many people refuse to believe this simple truth?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Let's be honest, when you buy a house you leave no stone unturned! Why did you choose that particular manifestation of non-Montessori, which you had misgivings about from day one and not search for a Montessori school which touched all of you ah-ha, "love me love my child buttons'"? I love your writing style, BUT let's be honest: what makes a school is it's teachers. The problem wasn't the Montessori method which should be a fun and creative experience for kids, but the obviously unintelligent, unloving, uninspired, spiritless nitwit who ran that class and that school! However, you point out something important: private or public, if the teachers don't suit you or your child, you are better off somewhere else. The Montessori approach should be begun at around 3 years old, and should be taught only by people who believe that teaching must embody the spirit of love, fellowship and unity.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Death By ChildrenJune 7, 2007 at 4:57 PM

    Anonymous;

    Jesus Haploid Christ, do you have any idea how hard it is to find decent schools and beer in Florida? My wife and I turned over so many stones looking for schools that local prison guards kept showing up and standing watch over us with Magnum PI sunglasses and shotguns. We racked our frikkin brains looking for a good school that we could get our spawn to AND make it to work on time yet managed not to bring Jesus and his posse into the whole thing. In Florida where D I S N E Y lives right next to Chicken Hawk's younger slightly less retarded brother, Jeb, that ain't easy. So thanks for the post but let's be honest, you skimmed the article and went right to the rant bucket. IN THE ARTICLE it mentions, I mean in passing, like only using words and stuff, that the business was misusing the name Montesorri. To expand on that minor detail, their teachers were not M trained as one would expect from reading the big MONTESSORI WHILE SUPPLIES LAST sign out front. If only I had mentioned that like IN THE ARTICLE or something. Oh we were so cavalier! I am ashamed! Nitwit.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Montessori is absolutely terrible for children. Any "school" can call themselves Montessori. I was picked out at the age of 6 in my Montessori class as "gifted," so I was forced to work harder and harder as if it were a competition. Then, I was strutted out in front of parents of potential new enrollees: "look at this six year old who can perform 4th grade math thanks to the Montessori method." I wouldn't wish Montessori on any child, unless you want to break their spirits, retard their social development and have them forced to behave like trained monkeys so that the "teachers" can sell more seats. Montessori is totally bogus.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Montessori Method has produced wonderful lifelong learners for generations. In fact, it doesn't surprise me that some of America's most gifted young entrepreneurs are the result of a Montessori upbringing, and continue to praise the method, and regard it as the reason they are the individuals they are. Larry Page and Sergey Brin of Google, for example.

    That being said, there is a problem because Montessori is not a trademarked term. Anyone can use it. Which leads to a lot of under trained, under achieving schools claiming the title that is not fully deserved.

    You need to look for an AMI or AMS certified school (which is a fairly long, intensive, and expensive process). And a teacher that is AMI or AMS trained. Any Montessori school that is worthy of your child will absolutely accept you into the classroom to observe.

    To classify all Montessori schools as Nazis, due to one under performing school is not fair.

    ReplyDelete