Sunday, February 8, 2009

I'm Ready For My Close-up

esterday, I got a wild hair and got a psycho-killer haircut.

The time between my haircuts varies according to some kind of hippy zodiac alignment of the planets I remain blissfully unaware of. I don’t have a regular appointment. I don’t have a barber. I go to the Hair Cuttery over on Milwaukee where the person cutting my hair is a stout Polish woman who looks like she might milk a cow by throwing it over her shoulder so it doesn’t interfere with her plowing. Somehow she always manages to make me look less like Elton John than Steven King and for that I am marginally grateful.

Truly, I think the stimulus for scobbing my noggin is when my bangs start stabbing me in the eyes. Then I know it’s time.

And I always struggle there for a second to explain to Ms. Donstrykwytshdnski that I want a cut that is relatively corporate yet carries a sheen of the insouciant bohemian so I can go to a office meeting in a suit yet still stand out clearly as the writer in the room to which she responds “So, shorter, djah?”

In between these visits to the Balkan Barbers my hair grows like some kind of nuclear infused roadside weed, like Kudzu, until it’s grown into an exact replica of the contour of my skull and I have to spend an inordinate and insufferable three to four minutes every time I want to go somewhere applying various pomades and chemical mudpacks to make it stay in the cool pre-mullet halcyon day style I am accustomed to. This sometimes amounts to—brace yourselves—work, to which I am allergic.

So on the occasion, like once every ten years, I get a wild hair up my blog and get a haircut like I have now, a cross between a mental patient and a 1950s history teacher. Give me a short sleeved white shirt and a skinny black tie and
I’m a street preacher. Jesus loafs you, man.

And my kids have given no end of merciless hell for it. My daughter just flat out called me ugly and my son said it makes my gay glasses look good. My wife’s friend, my adopted Sicilian sister, Annabobannadanna, actually sighed and put her hand to her mouth, whispered something in Sicilian then blurted out, “Oh, Chris, what did you do?”

Thank god my hair grows fast. Almost as fast as my eyebrows so with a little coaxing and maybe some mustache wax I can get the Leonard Nemoy eyebrows to reach up and lock their fingers with the earliest scraps of bangs which might eke themselves out of my head like spring tulips.

So, gird your loins and shoe the children and the weak of heart into the basement and scroll down. You have my permission to replicate this in rubber for a Halloween mask.

12 comments:

  1. C'mon Chris... it's not _THAT_ bad... Oh... I looked at the wrong picture. ;)

    Seriously, I've seen worse heads in my time. On my bad-head-o-meter, you rate a 5/10. 1 = Brad Pitt; 10 = That chick who's had too much plastic surgery and her face looks like it will explode if an insect lands on it.

    So take heart... you're not half bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'd look downright good, if you'd smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That hair looks badass-like you should be in Pulp Fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn't I see your picture up at the post office last week??? What's your address, I think there was like a $50,000 reward for information leading to your arrest and conviction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carlos the Jackal???

    (You've still got a better head than me, man ... if that's any consolation)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen worse, but then again, my kid is in beauty school(go ahead, gag, I do every time I have to admit it). Are you sure Mother Russia gave proper accredidation? Use Redkin shampoo, makes the fur grow abnormally fast.
    Good luck with the eye brows :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. What you could do is try a shampoo that is used for giving body or volume. Or something for thickening. The only problem then is the poof factor and ones ability to control said factor.

    But honestly? It isn't horrible. And it isn't making babies cry. And trust me, I work in a salon and I have seen kids freak out over their parents new hair do. Or don't, really.

    Just smile, throw in a little pomade or matte and you're good to go!

    Its just hair, right? Hell, thats what I tell myself every time I throw some different concoction of dye into it.

    So no worries!
    Take care =]

    -Geiger-

    ReplyDelete
  8. tehe..well it really could be worse. the past few years of my life have just been a series of crap haircuts, so, don't feel too bad over it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. At least it's not a combover!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look like Jose Feliciano/Roy Orbison/Elton John/Jorge "La Polilla", the chauvinist-Mexican-drug dealer-whore monger-assassin that lives down the street from me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i think it looks pretty cool - military like...unless there is a ponytail i can't see?

    ReplyDelete