Friday, May 22, 2009

Holiday Horse Latitudes

Every year, we've been working on building a new tradition for our Christmas Holidays and I think we finally got something we like. Some time between Christmas and New Years while the whole family is on vacation we go on a Movie Crawl.

A Movie Crawl starts when we wake up. I make a stupid, ginormous breakfast and we pop in some movie we've all been waiting to see on DVD. After it's done, about 12:00, we go to our favorite thee a tah and hit the first showing--and watch every movie they show for the whole day.

Well, not every movie. I'm not about to watch Alvin and the Chipmunks unless the fate of the world hangs in the balance. What you do is map the whole thing out, buy your tickets online so that you walk out of one movie and into the next.

We're lucky because we go see movies at Muvico, a brand new megaplex high definition digital screen 3D monstrosity with a 5 star restaurant, valet parking, and seats designed with the 21st century American ass in mind. A kid could lay down in these seats. They're huge.

Yesterday we tried to get our crawl on but life and Xbox 360 intervened so we only saw two movies. I'm pretty disappointed and I'm almost ready to tell my family they have to try again. Still, they were good movies.

I Am Legend the director had definitely learned the lesson about keeping the tension high. I thought I was going to have a coronary halfway through the movie. And when Will Smith talks to the mannekin (you'll know what I mean when you see it) I totaly bought it. I was practically in tears. In a ZOMBIE movie for the love of Christ. That's good.

Then we saw Charlie Wilson's War and were completely blown away and pleasantly surprised during the credits to find out it was written by Aaron Sorkin, who wrote West Wing.

So I'm preaching it: go out after Xmas and spend a day in the unreality of cinema. It's awesome.

4 comments:

  1. I was also pleasantly surprised by "Charlie Wilson's War"! I expected to be bored off my keister....but it sucked me in and made the 2 hours fly. Who knew that was possible?! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I want to see I Am Legend too. I'm glad to hear a good review; I rarely go to the theatre anymore but I may choose to drop the cash for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw them both in the past two weeks, and I totally agree with you. The manequin scene was intense.

    The only criticism I have of CW's War was that Sorkin himself didn't direct the movie. It would have made it a perfect 10 for me.

    I think your tradition rocks, so I'm thinking I may have to steal it when my man-boy gets a little older.

    Next Christmas Day is Star Trek 11, go see it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't need convincing, G, just need a baby sitter. ;)

    Can't wait until Aussie cinemas catch up with the US megaplex trend. We need more restaurants in our theatres.

    Happy New Year to you and yours. Keep writing.

    SO looking forward to seeing I Am Legend it is not funny...

    ReplyDelete