Friday, May 22, 2009

Haute Cuisine Macaroni and Cheese is GO!

I looked up Macaroni in Cheese on the internet to get the best recipe. Seven hours later, I gave up and just tried to find the common trends in the 3,410,987 recipes I read before I gave up.

Here's the deal. My wife and I love cheese. Maybe it's because we live within spittin' distance of Wisconsin or maybe it's because we're nouveau snobs and love to talk about how we had some delicious manchego with our 12 year old tawny port. Or we're dweebs. We even shop at a cheese shop, The Cheese Stands Alone, down on Western. So we often have a couple of heels of expensive cheese sulking in the fridge and I like to give 'em a new home shredded up along side some hardcore New York cheddar with so much attitude it smokes cigarettes and still listens to the Stones and bake it into comfort food heaven.

Recipe:

DO NOT MEASURE ANYTHING

So my Mac&Cheese has: Manchego, Piave, Iberico, Romano, and frikkin' Chedda. I take four egg yolks, a spoonful of Dijon, some cream, and a little Cayenne pepper. Oh. Macaroni.

You shred all the cheese into a pile. You get a bowl, toss in the egg yolks, mustard, cream and cayenne and mix 'em together. Toss in the macaroni (cooked--duh). Mix it up. Now add most of the shredded cheese, mix it up. Pour it into the baking thing. Finish with the rest of the cheese, toss it into an oven that's almost on fire until the cheese on top is brown and bubbling.

My son ate it like he'd been starved to death.

Serve it. Ought to look like this:

7 comments:

  1. I'm drooling on my keyboard. I love cheese too, and the New York cheddar sounds fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have scavenged the Interwebs for the best mac n cheese recipe.

    That looks pretty good.

    (Verticalface on Facebook).

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing - and just totally decadent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the no measure thing is spot on . . . try this for extra crunch . . . throw some old bread and a tablespoon or two of butter in the food processor to make buttery bread crumbs and top the mac and cheese with that . . . buttery cruchy goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks scrumptious. But, also, disturbingly like an undefined STD.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Half-Past Kissin' TimeJanuary 14, 2008 at 2:36 PM

    My Wisconsin mouth is watering!! I wish I had the skill to NOT MEASURE, but it's SO SCARY! Okay, I'll try it.

    ReplyDelete