Friday, May 22, 2009

Sperm Wail

Today I walked out onto the Mother Theresa tarmac to retrieve Boy and saw him from all the way across the lot, beaming at me, loaded with promise. What a moment. I mean, he's like a little Kennedy doll and he's picked me out, made eye-contact, from like 50 yards and I know he's just bursting with pride. It's like he's barely containing a nuclear bomb of pride and I'm so glad. I could use it.

I had a bad day. My mac deep-sixed at THE VERY MOMENT I WAS UPLOADING A CLIENT'S FINISHED WEBSITE. I mean like as my finger hovered over the return key, as the space between the fingerprints and the Baleek china surface of the mac grew increasingly smaller until I could practically feel the nano indentation of the word "enter," the screen froze and my mac died it's third and least noble death.

Also, I absorbed the brunt of the snot gargling this week and received my dubious infection like a church wafer, spending most of yesterday lying in bed watching Top Chef re-reruns and wondering if I had the temerity to stand erect in the shower long enough to shave (I didn't). I actually went to the store in my "cold clothes"--cut-off -jersey-raggy-old-shorts that look like I cleaned a crime scene in them with a matching t-shirt complete with an espresso-tinged ellipses running down my front like some weird t-shirt semaphore, a semiotic self-referential version of "I'm with stupid," the kind of high-end hyper-intelligent garb Umberto Eco would wear to a micro-brew ten-pin bowling alley old-school martini joint.

And my guitar was out of tune.

And my headlight went out.

And did I mention my Mac had crashed? I mean, I had just spent something like 8 hours crunching through a Flash site from scratch, turning it into a beeeautiful work of art that screamed through transitions and just looked gorgeous--for free. And can't. Show. It to any. Body.

And I got bad customer service from the Mac store. This is what kills me. The MAC store, my place of worship, Middle Managemented me. I know the face, I've worked retail. I know when I've hit the customer service terminal wall.

So walking across the hot sticky tar (90 degrees in Sept!) and seeing my son broadcasting a radiant ear-to-ear and knowing that he's at this top-shelf school and knowing that he's finally working at the level he deserves, I'm thinking he's going to say something like:

  • Father, dear, you were right! The Brothers Karamozov really is incredible!

  • Wow; the similarities between Latin and English are stunning. Did you know . . .
    or even

  • I owned pre-calc today!


Because your kid, smiling, smart, achieving, can blow the bad day away. That genuine enthusiasm, the kind of all-in yeah-baby crash-the-car bravado that only kids can provide, can clear it all out like a firehose. Reset. Do over.

And that's what I wanted. And just like any good Wuthering Heights remake, I loped in slomo across the blacktop to my prideful, beside-himself with accomplishment, scion of 5th grade intelligentsia, fruit of my loins, heir to my . . . fortune; mini me, my boy who drops in beside me and says:

Dude, today we totally talked about sperm!"

6 comments:

  1. way cool.

    I remember when my oldest was in 5th grade sex ed. We lived in southern California and my company had mandatory car pooling. My single friend Debbie who car pooled with me, would regale our office everymorning with what my daughter was learning

    ReplyDelete
  2. bad customer service is THE WORST! Nothing is more irritating.

    Nothing except sex ed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool. Now he can actually say that word at the dinner table with out being immediately excused! Could you just live on that look - the parking lot smile? Don't you know that feeling? Don't you love to talk about sperm? Wait until he talks to his sisters about sperm.
    I assume y'all have had "the talk?"
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I have BlogRush and stumbled upon your delightfully witty and erudite blog," she said with clenched jaw as though raised in the upper echelon of upper echelons. Found it. Love it. Will so be back.

    Check mine out too, while you're crusing the information superhighway.

    Helena

    ReplyDelete
  5. Helena;

    Thank you for your comments, especially the description of me being erudite. It's been an uphill battle for me my entire life because I'm Bamanian and we use an entirely different grammatical structure than most people. And though I do speak fluent Canadian, the transition from Bamanian English to regular old American English was exceptionally difficult. I hope, one day, be able to afford to establish a cultural center in Birmingham to assist my brethren from 'Bama in learning to speak normally. Until then, it's grits and aigs.

    I would love to visit your blog but I can't find it. Please go to my profile and email me directly, please.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found your blog...really enjoyed reading it. I will probably share it with a few people I know.

    ReplyDelete