Friday, May 22, 2009

Cussin' Up a Storm

We're a cuss friendly family, here at the house of Death. My kids cuss with abandon, [My Attorney] and I cuss like sailors--even the dog cusses.

But I'm wondering if this is a bad thing. My kids are careful editors outside casa de caca--no complaints from the school. But once they get inside the door? Like sailors.

I'm not saying it's fbomb central. They're colorful, not ugly. They say the D word and the S word and the GD word and a few composites handed down from past generations. X-box live has added some new words to the list, since the Boy plays Gears of War with some articulate potheads from New Zealand. But overall, they're cursing is actually sub-naval.

I think I'm highly liberal and I think this is unusual but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe, behind closed doors, all families are cuss positive.

What's it like in your family? Do youi let your kids cuss at home? In the car? In texts?

3 comments:

  1. I live in Quebec, where cursing is the norm, not the rarity. I'm also quite unrestricted with my own swearwords, and they slip into conversation as gentle highlights to stress the moment. "Where is that fucking book already? Oh, here it is, thanks."

    I have a teen and a toddler. The teen? Swear free. Why? Because it was never taboo, exciting or worth getting all daring about using. Swearing was daily life. No biggie.

    The toddler? Only swears when extremely frustrated - you know, those times when really little kids are just so emotionally angry and lose all possible words to convey their feelings? It'll come out then. It's okay. No biggie.

    And like you, my kids don't swear outside the house. We never mentioned they shouldn't - it just happens naturally. No taboo? No biggie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god I had no idea people from Canada read my blog! Do you use Google translator? I'm sorry . . . Do you fucking use fucking Google fucking transfuckinglator?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris--
    Granted, my kids are at a much different age than are yours, but here's a recent story about my 5 year old: http://playingzonedefense.blogspot.com/2008/11/little-ears.html
    Thanks for your recent post on my blog; it was nice to be recognized by one of the bloggers whose work convinced me to put up some of my family's stories!

    ReplyDelete